Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sarah Churchill's letter to Queen Anne, dated October 20, 1706

Source:

Private correspondence of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough: illustrative of the court and times of Queen Anne, volume 1, H. Colburn, London, 1838

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89073382673&view=1up&seq=103


Above: Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, painted after Sir Godfrey Kneller.


Above: Queen Anne, painted by Charles Jervas after Sir Godfrey Kneller.

The letter:

Sunday Morning, Oct. 20, 1706.
I must, in the first place, beg leave to remind you of the name of Mrs. Morley and your faithful Freeman, because without that help I shall not be well able to bring out what I have to say, it is so awkward to write any thing of this kind in the style of an address, tho' none, I am sure, ever came from a purer heart, nor that can be the tenth part so serviceable to you, if you please, because they are generally meant for compliment, which people in Mrs. Morley's post never want, though very often it turns to their own prejudice. What I have to say is of another nature; I will tell you the greatest truths in the world, which seldom succeeds with any body so well as flattery. Ever since I received the enclosed letter from Mr. Freeman, I have been in dispute with myself, whether I should send it Mrs. Morley or not, because his opinion is no news to you; and after the great discouragements I have met with only for being faithful to you, I concluded it was to no manner of purpose to trouble you any more; but reading the letter over and over, and finding that he is convinced he must quit Mrs. Morley's service if she will not be made sensible of the condition she is in, I have at last resolved to send it you, and you will see by it how full of gratitude Mr. Freeman is, by his expressions, which were never meant for Mrs. Morley to see. He is resolved to venture his life and fortune whenever it can be of use to you; and upon recalling every thing to my memory, that may fill my heart with all that passion and tenderness I had once for Mrs. Morley's, I do solemnly protest I think I can no ways return what I owe her so well as by being honest and plain. As one mark of it, I desire you would reflect whether you have never heard that the greatest misfortunes that ever has happened to any of your family, has not been occasioned by having ill advice, and an obstinacy in their tempers - - - - - that is very unaccountable. Though 'tis likely nobody has even spoke thoroughly to you ever upon those just misfortunes, I fear there is reason to apprehend there is nothing of this in the case of Mrs. Morley, since she has never been able to answer any argument, or to say any thing that has the least colour of reason in it, and yet will not be advised by those that have given the greatest demonstrations imaginable of being in her interest. I can remember a time when she was willing to take advice, and loved those that spoke freely to her, and that is not five years ago; and is it possible, that when you seriously reflect, that you can believe you can do the business upon your hands without it? Can flatteries in so short a time have such power? or can you think it is safer to take it from those you have little or no experience of, than from those that have raised your glory higher than was ever expected? And let people talk what they please of luck, I am persuaded whoever governs with the best sense, will be the most fortunate princes.

I am sure this letter will surprise Mrs. Morley, who, I believe, was in hopes she had got quite rid of me, and should never have heard from me again upon any such subject; but instead of that I have ventured to tell you, you have a fault. There is no perfection in this world; and whoever will be honest upon that subject, does one in Mrs. Morley's circumstances more service than in venturing a hundred lives for her; and if I had as many, I am sure I could freely hazard them all to convince her (though used as I don't care to repeat), that she never had a more faithful servant.

I beg you will be pleased to let me have this letter again, as well as Mr. Freeman's, because I have some reason to think Mrs. Morley will dislike this letter, as she has done many not written with quite so much freedom, and will accuse me to Mr. Freeman and Mr. Montgomery, without saying what is my fault, which has been often done; and having no copy of this letter, I would have it to shew them, in my own vindication; for nothing sets more heavy upon me than to be thought in the wrong to Mrs. Morley, who I have made the best return to that any mortal ever did; and what I have done has rarely been seen but upon a stage, every body having some weakness or passion, which is generally watched or humoured in Mrs. Morley's place, most people liking better to do themselves good than really to serve another; but I have more satisfaction in losing Mrs. Morley's favour upon that principle, than any mercenary courtier ever had in the greatest riches that has been given; and though I can't preserve your kindness, you can't hinder me from endeavouring to deserve it, by all the ways that are in my power.

Endorsed by the Duchess. — My letter to Mrs. Morley, which you should read before hers.

Note: Mrs. Morley was the nickname for Anne and Mrs. Freeman was the nickname for Sarah in their correspondence. Mr. Montgomery was their nickname for Lord Godolphin.

No comments:

Post a Comment