Monday, August 17, 2020

Princess Mary of Orange's letter to Frederik Hendrik of Orange-Nassau, dated August 18, 1641

Source:

http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/profile/work/102a107d-f4fc-469a-b3b6-240c15a4cfe6?sort=date-a&rows=50&col_cat=Stuart,%20Mary%20(Princess%20Royal%20and%20Princess%20of%20Orange)&baseurl=/forms/advanced&start=1&type=advanced&numFound=353


Above: Mary, Princess of Orange, painted by Anthony van Dyck.


Above: Frederik Henrik of Orange-Nassau, painted by Michiel Janszoon van Mierevelt.

The letter:

Monsieur mon beau père. Par le retour du baron Daune vous saurés comme le Roy monsieur mon père et la Royne madame ma mère avois intantion de vous donner satisfaction dans ma voyage de Holande, mais les choses ectant changée, comme le dit baron Daune vous fera entendre, je vous prie de croyre que j'estois fort preste d'obéir aux commandements du Roy et de la Royne, que par cela vous puissiez voir que je n'ay plus grand désir que de vous donner des preuves de mon afection par mes actions, et quant le tamps sera venu, je ne doute point que par les effects vous vérés que je suis, Monsieur mon beau-père,
votre affectioné servant
MARIE.

English translation:

Sir my father-in-law,
By the return of Baron Dohna you will know how the King, my father, and the Queen, my mother, intended to give you satisfaction in my trip to Holland, but things having changed, as Baron Dohna said to you, I beg you to believe that I was very ready to obey the commandments of the King and the Queen, that by this you may see that I have no greater desire than to give you proofs of my affection by my actions, and when the time will have come, I have no doubt that by these effects you will see that I am, Sir, my father-in-law,
your affectionate servant
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment