Monday, August 17, 2020

Sophia of Hungary's letter to her mother, Helena of Rascia, dated September 1146

Source:

https://epistolae.ctl.columbia.edu/letter/26046.html

Sophia (born circa 1135) was the elder of the two daughters of King Béla II of Hungary. She was engaged to Henry, a son of Conrad III of Germany. She died as a nun in the Admont Abbey in what is now Austria.

In this letter, the eleven year old Sophia tells her mother, Helena of Rascia, of her joy in her life at the convent of Admont. She implies that her mother had supported her decision to give up the world and human marriage.

The letter:

Excellentissime matri sue N. regine nobilissime N. Christi et ipsius ancilla videre d(ominu)m d(eum) in Syon vel regem r(egum) cum decore s(alutem). Audita dulcissima legatione v(estra), mater et domina, qua humilitatem m(eam) clementer salutare dignata estis excellentia v(estra), gaudens et exultans vehementer in domino grates devotissimas serenitati v(estre) humiliter refero. Et quia dixistis speciale vobis esse gaudium pro amore sponsi celestis devotissimarum deo feminarum me elegisse contubernium, quid elegerim, quid invenerim vobis, domina, paucis intimare decrevi.

Dum serenitatis vestre misericordiam oculo cordis intueor, mater et domina, qua me vobis commanentem amplecti fovere nutrire vestra dignata est excellentia, quicquid honoris et glorie, quicquid iocunditatis et gratie vel leticie excogitare filialis valet dilectio, totum vobis unice matri intima devotione exhibeo. Verum tamen, quia gaudium m(eum) gaudium v(estrum) esse non ambigo, facta in me magnalia dei dignitati vestre, domina mater, intimare cupio. Ex quo loco N. inhabitare cepi regnum et patriam deo miserante inveni. Nam tanta in me patris nostri spiritualis domini scilicet abbatis omniumque mihi commanentium superhabundat gratia, ut velut in horto deliciarum quodam modo videar esse posita.

English translation:

To her most excellent mother [Helena] most noble queen, [Sophia] handmaid of Christ and of her, greetings to see the lord god in Sion and the king of kings with honor.  Having heard your messenger, mother and lady, by which you deigned to greet my humility benignly, rejoicing and exulting vehemently in the lord, I humbly give most devout thanks to your serenity.  And since you said it was special joy to you that I had chosen for love of the heavenly spouse the fellowship of women most devoted to god, what I chose, what I revealed to you, lady, I decided to announce to few [people].  While I contemplate the mercy of your serenity with the eye of the heart, mother and lady, with which your excellence deigned to nourish me dwelling with the warmth of embrace, whatever of honor and glory, whatever of delight and grace and happiness filial love can conceive, I show that wholly to you, my only mother with deepest devotion.  Truly indeed since I do not doubt that my joy is your joy, I wish to announce to your dignity, lady mother, the magnificent things/miracles that came to me from god.  From what place I [N?] began to inhabit and found the kingdom and fatherland with God’s mercy.  For such grace abounded in me from our spiritual lord, namely the abbot, and all those dwelling [there], that I seemed to be placed somehow in a garden of delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment