Sunday, August 16, 2020

Margaret Paston's letter to her husband John Paston, year probably 1440

Source:


Margaret Paston, née Mauteby (born 1423, died 1484) married John Paston, Agnes Paston's son, in 1440. For most of their married life, her husband often had to be away on business, leaving Margaret to defend hearth and home; and things got serious a few times. For example, in January 1450, the Paston estates at Gresham were besieged by a Lord Molynes and an armed force of a thousand men. To prepare for the siege, Margaret had written to John asking him to send crossbows, winches, and bolts. With only 12 other defenders, Margaret made a stand, but the walls were destroyed around her. She was evicted and the house was sacked. On two other occasions, Margaret was forcibly attacked. She protected the manor of Drayton, even conducting forays in 1465 to seize property claimed both by her husband and the Duke of Suffolk. After John's death in 1466, Margaret continued to oversee the family's properties for her eldest son, who never married.

The letter:

To my worshepfull husbond, John Paston, abidyng at Petyrhous in Cambrigg.

Ryth reverent and worsepful husbon, I recomawnde me to zow with alle myn sympyl herte, and prey zow to wete that there come up xi. hundyr Flemyns at Waxham, quereof wer takyn, and kylte, and dronchyn viiij. hundryte. And thei had nowte a be, ze xul a be atte home this Qwesontyde, and I suppose that ze xul be atte home er owte long be.

I thanke yow hertely for my lettyr, for I hadde none of zow syn I spooke with zow last of for the matyr of Jon Mariot; the qwest passyd nowte of that day, for my Lorde of Norfolke was in towne for Wedyrbys matyr, qwer for he wolde nowt latyd pase off, for further of I kowe Fynch ne Bylbys makethe no purwyans for hys gode.

No mor I wryte to zow atte this tyme, but the Holy Trenyte hawe zow in kepyng. Wretyn in Norweche, on Trenyte Sune day.
Yowr, MARKARYTE PASTON.

With modernised spelling:

To my worshipful husband, John Paston, abiding at Peter House in Cambridge.

Right reverent and worshipful husband, I recommend me to you with all mine simple heart, and pray you to wit that there came up eleven hundred Flemings at Waxham, whereof were taken and killed and dronken nine hundred. And they had naught a be, ye should a be at home this Whitsuntide, and I suppose that ye should be at home or out long be.

I thank you heartily for my letter, for I had none of you seen. I spoke with you last of for the matter of John Marriot; the quest passed naught of that day, for my Lord of Norfolk was in town for Weatherby's matter, wherefor he would naught let it pass off, for further of I know Fynch ne Bylbys [?] maketh no purveyance for his good.

No more I write to you at this time, but the Holy Trinity have you in keeping. Written in Norwich, on Trinity Sunday.
Your MARGARET PASTON.

Notes: wit = know (verb)

dronken = drowned

No comments:

Post a Comment