Monday, August 17, 2020

Anne of Denmark's letter to King James VI, undated

Source:

Letters to King James the Sixth from the Queen, Prince Henry, Prince Charles, the Princess Elizabeth and her husband, Frederick, king of Bohemia, and from their son, Prince Frederick Henry, T. Constable, Edinburgh, 1835

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015067921414&view=1up&seq=117


Above: Anne of Denmark, painted by John de Critz the Elder.


Above: King James VI and I, painted by John de Critz the Elder.


The letter:

My heairt.
I am glad that, haddington hath tolde me of your, m.tie good health which I wish to Continue. As for the blame you charge me with of lasie writing I think it rather rests on your self because you be as sloe in writing as my self, I can write of no mirth but of practist of tilting of riding of drumming and of musike, Which is all, wherwith I am not a litle pleased

So wishing your Mtie perpetuale happines I kiss your M. hands and rest
yours.
Anna R.

No comments:

Post a Comment