Monday, August 17, 2020

Queen Anne's letter to Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, dated December 1706

Source:

Private correspondence of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough: illustrative of the court and times of Queen Anne, volume 1, H. Colburn, London, 1838

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89073382673&view=1up&seq=75


Above: Queen Anne, painted by Charles Boit after Sir Godfrey Kneller.


Above: Sarah Churchill, painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller.

The letter:

Wednesday noon, Dec. 1706.
I have, upon my dear Mrs. Freeman's pressing letter about Mr. Stephens, ordered Mr. Secretary Harley to put a stop to his standing in the pillory, till further orders, which is in effect the same thing as if he was pardoned.

Nothing but your desire could have inclined me to it; for, in my poor opinion, it is not right. My reason I will tell you when I have the happiness of seeing you. Till then, my dear Mrs. Freeman, farewell.

Note: Mrs. Freeman was Anne's nickname for Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment