Thursday, August 5, 2021

Anne Boleyn's letter to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, year 1528

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 305, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Anne Boleyn, queen consort of England, painted by an artist of the English school.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My Lord, in my most humblyst wyse that my powuer hart can thynke I do thanke your Grace for your kynd Letter, and youer rych and goodly present, the whyche I shall never be able to desarve wyth owt your gret helpe, of the whyche I have hetherto hade so grete plente that all the dayes of my lyfe I am moaste bownd [of] all creators next the Kyngs Grace to love and serve your Grace, of the whyche I besyche yo[u never] to dowte that ever I shalle vary frome this thought as long a[s only bre]the is in my body. And as tochyng your Graces troble with the Swet [I thanke o]wer Lorde that them that I desyerd and prayed for ar sca[pyd, and th]at is the Kyng and you. Not doughthyng bot that God [has preser]vyd you bothe for grete cawsys knowen allonly of his hy[gh wysdom]e. And as for the commyng of the Legate, I desyer that moche; [and yf it be Godds] pleasor I pray hym to send this matter shortly to [a good ende]: and then I trust my Lord to recompence part of your gr[ete panys the whych] I must requyer you in the meane tyme to excepte [my good wyll in t]he stede of the power, the whyche must prosede partly f[rom you as ower Lo]urd knoweth to whom I be syche to sende you lon[ge lyfe with continew]ance in honor. Wrytten wyth the hande of her th[at is most bound to be]
You[r humble and]
obed[yent servante
ANNE BOLEYN.]

No comments:

Post a Comment