Thursday, August 5, 2021

Lady Jane Parker-Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford's letter to Thomas Cromwell, year 1536

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 67, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825


Jane Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford (born Parker, circa 1505, died February 13, 1542) was the wife of George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford, the brother of Anne Boleyn, who was the second wife of King Henry VIII. Jane had been a member of the household of Henry's first wife, Catherine of Aragon. It is possible that she played a role in the judgements against, and subsequent executions of, her husband and sister-in-law in 1536. She was later lady-in-waiting to Henry's third and fourth wives, and then to his fifth wife, Catherine Howard, with whom she was executed in 1542.

The letter:

Mayster Secretory, as a power desolat wydow wythoute comffort, as to my specyall trust under God and my Pryns, I have me most humbly recommendyd unto youe; praying youe, after your accustemyd gentyll maner to all them that be in suche lamentabull case as I ame in, to be meane to the Kyngs gracyous Hyghnes for me for suche power stuffe and plate as my husbonde had, whome God pardon; that of hys gracyous and mere lyberalyte I may have hyt to helpe me to my power lyvyng, whiche to his Hyghnes ys nothynge to be regardyd, and to me schuld be a most hygh helpe and souccor. And farther more, where that the Kyngs Hyghnes and my Lord my father payed great soms of money for my Joynter to the Errell of Wyltchere to the some off too thowsand Marks, and I not assuryd of no more duryng the sayd Errells naturall lyff then one hundreth Marke; whyche ys veary hard for me to schyffte the worldd wythall. That youe wyll so specyally tender me in thys behalff as to enforme the Kyngs Hyghnes of these premysses, wherby I may the more tenderly be regardyd of hys gracyous persone, youre Worde in thys schall be to me a sure helpe: and God schall be to youe therfore a sure reward, whyche dothe promes good to them that dothe helpe powere forsaken Wydos. And bothe my prayer and servys schall helpe to thys duryng my naturall lyff, as most bounden so to doo, God my wyttnes: whoo ever more preserve you.
JANE ROCHEFORD.

With modernised spelling:

Master Secretary, as a power desolate widow without comfort, as to my special trust under God and my Prince, I have me most humbly recommended unto you; praying you, after your accustomed gentle manner to all them that be in such lamentable case as I am in, to be mean to the King's gracious Highness for me for such power stuff and plate as my husband had, whom God pardon; that of his gracious and mere liberality I may have it to help me to my power living, which to his Highness is nothing to be regarded, and to me should be a most high help and succour. And furthermore, where that the King's Highness and my Lord my father paid great sums of money for my Jointure to the Earl of Wiltshire to the sum of two thousand Marks, and I not assured of no more during the said Earl's natural life then one hundred Mark; which is very hard for me to shift the world withall. That you will so specially tender me in this behalf as to inform the King's Highness of these premises, whereby I may the more tenderly be regarded of his gracious person, your Word in this shall be to me a sure help: and God shall be to you therefore a sure reward, which doth promise good to them that doth help power forsaken Widows. And both my prayer and service shall help to this during my natural life, as most bounden so to do, God my witness: who ever more preserve you.
JANE ROCHFORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment