Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her half-sister Princess Mary, dated October 27, 1551

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 163, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Princess Elizabeth, artist unknown.


Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.

The letter:

Good Sistar as to hire of your siknes is unpleasant to me, so is it nothinge feareful, for that I understande it is your olde gest that is wont oft to viset you, whose comminge thogth it be oft, yet is it never welcome, but notwithstanding it is comforttable for that "jacula prævisa minus feriunt." And as I do understande your nede of Jane Russels service, so am I sory that it is by mans occasion letted, wiche if I had knowen afore, I wold have caused his wil give place to nide of her service, for as it is her duty to obey his commandement, so is it his part to attende your pleasure; and, as I confesse, it were miter for him to go to her, sins she attendes uppon you, so indide he required the same, but for that divers of his felowes had busines abrode, that made his tarijnge at home. Good Sistar thogth I have good cause to thanke you for your oft sendinge to me, yet I have more occasion to rendre you my harty thankes for your gentil writinge so oft, how pleasant it is to me. And thus I ende to troble you, desiring God to sende you as wel to do, as you can thinke and wische, or I desire or pray. Frome Hasherige scribled this 27th of October.
Your lovinge sistar
ELIZABETH.

To my welbeloved sistar
Marye.

With modernised spelling:

Good Sister, as to hear of your sickness is unpleasant to me, so is it nothing fearful, for that I understand it is your old guest that is wont oft to visit you, whose coming though it be oft, yet is it never welcome, but notwithstanding it is comfortable for that "jacula prævisa minus feriunt." And as I do understand your need of Jane Russel's service, so am I sorry that it is by man's occasion letted, which if I had known afore, I would have caused his will give place to need of her service, for as it is her duty to obey his commandment, so is it his part to attend your pleasure; and, as I confess, it were meeter for him to go to her, since she attends upon you, so indeed he required the same, but for that diverse of his fellows had business abroad, that made his tarrying at home. Good Sister, though I have good cause to thank you for your oft sending to me, yet I have more occasion to render you my hearty thanks for your gentle writing so oft, how pleasant it is to me. And thus I end to trouble you, desiring God to send you as well to do, as you can think and wish, or I desire or pray. From Ashridge, scribbled this 27th of October.
Your loving sister
ELIZABETH.

To my well beloved sister
Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment