Thursday, August 5, 2021

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her half-sister Queen Mary I, dated August 2, 1556

Source:

The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Princess Elizabeth, artist unknown.


Above: Queen Mary I of England, painted by Anthonis Mor.

Please note before continuing: I was hesitant to include this letter here due to the word "Paynims" (an anti-Semitic and Islamophobic word meaning "pagans" that was used to describe Jewish people and Muslims) and the line "Christians in name, but Jews in deed". But then I remembered that to ignore the issues of anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and the stereotypes associated with Jewish people and Muslims is equivalent to pretending these problems don't exist. It has had horrible consequences for centuries and sadly continues even now. It was not acceptable then and it is not acceptable now. Thank you.

The letter:

HATFIELD, August 2, 1556.
When I revolve in mind (most noble Queen) the old love of Paynims to their princes, and the reverent fear of Romans to their senate, I cannot but muse for my part and blush for theirs, to see the rebellious hearts and devilish intents of Christians in name, but Jews in deed, towards their anointed king, which methinks if they had feared God, (though they could not have loved the state) they should for the dread of their own plague, have refrained that wickedness, which their bounden duty to your Majesty had not restrained. But when I call to remembrance that the devil tanquam leo rugiens circumvenit, quærens quem devorare potest, I do the less marvel that he hath gotten such novices into his professed house, as vessels (without God's grace) more apt to serve his palace than meet to inhabit English land. I am the bolder to call them his imps, for that St. Paul saith, Seditiosi sunt filii diaboli; and since I have so good a buckler, I fear less to enter into their judgement.

Of this I assure your Majesty, it had been my part, above the rest, to bewail such things, though my name had not been in them, yet much it vexed me, that the devil oweth me such a hate, as to put me in any part of his mischievous instigations, whom, as I profess him my foe, (that is, all Christians' enemy) so wish I he had some other way invented to spite me.

But since it hath pleased God thus to bewray their malice, I most humbly thank Him, both that He has ever thus preserved your Majesty through His aid, much like a lamb from the horns of this Basan's bull, and also stirred up the hearts of your loving subjects to resist them, and deliver you to His honour and their shame. The intelligence of which, proceeding from your Majesty, deserves more humble thanks than with my pen I can render, which as infinite I will leave to number.

And among earthly things I chiefly wish this one, that there were as good surgeons for making anatomies of hearts (that I might show my thoughts to your Majesty) as there are expert physicians of bodies, able to express the inward griefs of maladies to their patience. For then I doubt not, but know well, that whatever others should be sure, by knowledge, that the more such mists effuscate the clear light of my soul, the more my tried thoughts should listen to the dimming of their hidden malice.

But since such wishes are in vain and desires oft fail, I must crave that my deeds may supply that which my thoughts cannot declare, and that they be not misdeemed, as the facts have been so well tried. And like as I have been your faithful subject from the beginning of your reign, so shall no wicked person cause me to change to the end of my life. And thus I commend your Majesty to God's tuition, whom I beseech long time preserve, ending with the new remembrance of my old suit, more than for that I should not be forgotten, than for I think it not remembered.

Your Majesty's obedient subject and humble sister,
ELIZABETH.

Note: misdeemed = misjudged.

No comments:

Post a Comment