Thursday, August 5, 2021

Princess Mary's letter to unknown nobleman, year circa 1551

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 165, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.

The letter:

My Lorde, after my moste harty commendacyons, bicause I can not convenyently wyth my mouth rendre unto you in presence those thanks for the great goodnes I fynde in you dayly that the same dothe worthely deserve, I thoughte it my parte of congruence at the lest, by thise my rude letters, to advertise you that of my good wyll and prayour to do you stede or pleasur, you shalbe ever duryng my lief assured; whiche I truste your gentylnes wyll yet accept in worthe, consideryng it is all that I have wherwyth I canne repaye any parte of that chardge and parfaite frendshipe that I have and do fynde in you: hartily requyryng your contynuance, whiche besyds the purchasyng of my tedious sutes, wherwyth I do ever molest you, shalbe my great comforte. And thus I beseche God to sende you aswell to fare as I wold wyshe my selfe. At Rychemonde this Thursday nyghte.
Your assured lovyng frende
duryng my lief
MARYE.

With modernised spelling:

My Lord, after my most hearty commendations, because I cannot conveniently with my mouth render unto you in presence those thanks for the great goodness I find in you daily that the same doth worthily deserve, I thought it my part of congruence at the least, by these my rude letters, to advertise you that of my good will and prayer to do you stead or pleasure, you shall be ever during my life assured; which I trust your gentleness will yet accept in worth, considering it is all that I have wherewith I can repay any part of that charge and perfect friendship that I have and do find in you: heartily requiring your continuance, which besides the purchasing of my tedious suits, wherewith I do ever molest you, shall be my great comfort. And thus I beseech God to send you as well to fare as I would wish myself. At Richmond this Thursday night.
Your assured loving friend
during my life
MARY.

Notes for context: rude = common, lowly.

advertise = to warn.

molest = to bother, to inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment