Thursday, August 5, 2021

Catherine of Aragon's letter to her daughter Princess Mary, year 1530

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 19, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Catherine of Aragon, queen consort of England, artist unknown.


Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.

The letter:

DOUGHTER
I pray you thinke not that any forgetfulnes hathe caused me to kepe Charles so long here, and aunswerd not to your good Letter, in the whiche I perceyve ye wold knowe howe I doo. I am in that caas that the long absence of the King and you troublethe me. My helthe is metely good: and I trust in God, he that sent me the last dothe it to the best, and woll shortly torne it to the fyrst to come to good effecte. And in the meane tyme I am veray glad to here from You, specially when they shewe me that ye be well amended. I pray God to contynue it to hys pleasour. As for your writing in Lattine I am glad that ye shall chaunge from me to Maister Federston, for that shall doo you moche good, to lerne by him to write right. But yet some tymes I wold be glad when ye doo write to Maister Federston of your owne enditing when he hathe rede it that I may se it. For it shalbe a grete comfort to me to see You kepe your Latten and fayer writing and all. And soo I pray You to recommaunde me to my Lady of Salisbury. At Oborne this Fryday night.
Your lovyng mother
KATHERINE THE QWENE.

No comments:

Post a Comment