Thursday, August 5, 2021

Princess Mary's letter to Thomas Cromwell, dated June 27, 1533

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 29, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.


Above: Thomas Cromwell, painted after Hans Holbein the Younger.

The letter:

MARYE PRINCESSE.
MAISTER Cromewell I commende me to you, and hertely thanke you for your kyndenes and favor lately shewed at my desyre unto my servante Richard Wilbram in the bihalfe of his father. I nowe eftsones desire and hertely praye you to shewe your laufull favor and goodnes unto Sir Rice Mauncell this beirer, in suche matters and buysenes as he is a suter unto you; for the said Sir Rice hathe maried oon of my gentilwomen, whome, for her long and acceptable service to me done, I myche esteme and favor. Wherfore if ye wolde, at this my desyre, extende your goodnes and favor unto him in that bihalfe, so that he myght perceive his said suit th'rather therby to take good effecte, ye theryn shulde mynestre unto me veraye acceptable pleasor, whiche I shall herafter remembre accordingly. From Otforde the xxvij.th daye of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment