Thursday, August 5, 2021

Queen Mary of France's letter to her brother King Henry VIII of England, year 1528

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 304, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Mary Tudor, queen consort of France, painted by Jan Gossaert.


Above: King Henry VIII, painted by Meynnart Wewyck.

The letter:

My most derest and best belowyd brother I humbly recommend vn to yowr grace. Sir so yt tys that I have bene very seke and eke atons for the wyche I was fayne to sende for Master Peter the fesysyon for to have hoplen me of the dessays that I haue. Were for I trowst showrly to come vp to Londone with my Lord. For and yf I shold tary here I am sowr I shold never asspeare the sekenys that I haue. Wer for, Sir, I wolde be the gladther a grete dele to com thether, by cawse I wold be glad to se yowr grace, the wyche I do thyncke long for to do; for I haue bene a grete wyle out of yowr syte: and now I thowst I shal not be so long agene: for the syte of yowr grace ys to me the grettys comforte to me that may be possybel. No more to your grace at thys tyme, but I pray God send yow yowr hartys dessyr, and showrly to the syte of yow.
by yowr lowyng suster
MARY THE FRENCHE QU..

No comments:

Post a Comment