Friday, August 6, 2021

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland's letter to her uncle Leopold I, King of the Belgians, dated September 19, 1837

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, drawn by Sir Edwin Landseer.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, painted by Sir George Hayter.

The letter:

WINDSOR CASTLE, 19th September 1837.
(20 m[inutes] p[ast] 11.)
MY DEAREST, MOST BELOVED UNCLE, — One line to express to you, imperfectly, my thanks for all your very great kindness to me, and my great, great grief at your departure! God knows how sad, how forlorn, I feel! How I shall miss you, my dearest, dear Uncle! every, every where! How I shall miss your conversation! How I shall miss your protection out riding! Oh! I feel very, very sad, and cannot speak of you both without crying!

Farewell, my beloved Uncle and father! may Heaven bless and protect you; and do not forget your most affectionate, devoted, and attached Niece and Child,
VICTORIA R.

No comments:

Post a Comment