Thursday, August 5, 2021

Catherine of Aragon's letter to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, finished by King Henry VIII of England, year 1527

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 274, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Catherine of Aragon, queen consort of England, painted by Michael Sittow.


Above: King Henry VIII, painted by Meynnart Wewyck.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My Lord in my moste humblyst wys that my hart can thinke .... me that I am so bold to troubyl you with my sympyl ...... ytt to prosed from her that is muche desirus to kno ...... I paersave be this berar that you do; the wiche I ...... as I am moste bonde to pray, for I do know the g...... you have taken for me bothe day and nyght ....... my part but allonly in loveng you next on to the ........ creatures leveng and I do not dought but the ......... shall manefestly declaer and aferme my Wryte ....... trust you do thynke the same. My Lord I do assure y........ from you som neues of the Legat, for I do hope and ........ shall be very good, and I am seur that you deseyre ....... and more and ytt waer possibel as I knowe ytt ys not ....... In a stedfast hope I make a mend of my lettar ......... of her that is moste bounde to be

The wrytter off thys Letter wolde nott cease tyll she had ....... to sett to my hand, desyryng yow thowght it be short to t........ I ensure yow ther is nother off us but that grettly desiry...... muche more reioyse to here that you have scapyd thys plage ....... the fury theroff to be passyd, specyally with them that k........ as I trust yow doo. The nott heryng off the Leg.s arywall ...... us sumwhat to muse, nott withstandyng we trust by your dilyg...... (with the assystence of all myghty God) shortly to be easyd owght ... no more to yow att thys tyme, but that I pray God send yow ..... and prosperyte as the wryters wolde. By your lovyng So........ Frende
HENR.. .

No comments:

Post a Comment