Thursday, August 5, 2021

Queen Margaret of Scotland's letter to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, year 1516

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 130, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Margaret Tudor, queen consort of Scotland, artist unknown.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My Lorde Cardnal I comand me to you as hartly as I can and vyt ze my lorde that I have spokyn vyt James Aborrow and he hath schwn to me that ze and the lordys of Cownsel vould not that I schuld cam to Bayners castel to day. My Lorde I wyl doo as ze thynke best but I pray you my Lorde as hartly as I can gyf ther be no trubyl to day to lat me com to morow. I trust to God ther schal be noo lych trobyl but that I may cam to morow for and it be vell thys nyght I trust to god the varst be past. And my Lorde I have I part of thyngs to doo that I most nedes have doon that vyll be nedfol to me. I pray my lorde to lat me have your aunsuer vyth thes berar and God have you in hys kepyng.
Yours
MARGARET R.
To my Lorde Cardnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment