Thursday, August 5, 2021

Queen Margaret of Scotland's letter to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, year 1516

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 130, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Margaret Tudor, queen consort of Scotland, artist unknown.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My Lorde Cardinal I comand me to you, and I vould fayne have spokyn vyth you but ye var gon or I could cam to you and therfor I most vryt to you my mynde. My Lorde I beseche you to schw your gud mynd to me, as ye have doon ever, but specyaly now, for now ys the tyme. Me Lorde I pray you hartly to get me som monne aganst .. yr day for ye knaw vell I moust gyf part of rewards and other nedful thyngs both for the kyng my brothers honour and myne: and I schal not put you in no more troubul but I be sysch you hartly my Lorde that I may have it to morow at nyght at the farest: for ells I vyl be dysapointtyd. But I put my hooll trust in you, and thys berar schal wayt upon you for your ansuer as our Lord knouth wham kype you
MARGARET R.

On To my Lorde Kardenall.

No comments:

Post a Comment