Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Anne Bassett's letter to Lady Honor Grenville, Viscountess Lisle, dated August 8, 1539

Source:

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14, Part 2: August-December 1539, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895


Anne Bassett (born 1520, died before 1558) was an English lady-in-waiting of the Tudor period, reputed to have been the mistress of King Henry VIII.

The letter:

I have received your letter by which it appears that you think I am at the Court. I cannot sue for the pardon of John Harryse, as you desire, for Mrs. Mewtas and I are now at Guildford going to London, and shall not see the King again till he come to Grafton and to Ampthill. Nor am I sure even then; for Mrs. Mewtas is in doubt about going. Has no horse except the nag that the King gave her, and a saddle. Will have the horse as soon as it is sent for, but it is a great way off. I am sorry I did not receive your letter when I was at Court; but if I can get any one to speak to the King for his pardon, will be sure to do so. Has received of Spekkot a royal from my lord and two single ducats from yourself. My lord Admiral has given me a buck, ready baked, for you, and says it shall be sent by one of his servants who lives in London. I have recommended you to lady Hampton (Southampton), lady Brown, and Mrs. Mewtas. Written the 8 Aug.

No comments:

Post a Comment