Thursday, April 29, 2021

Margaret Paston's letter to John Paston, January 31, year circa 1449

Sources:

The Paston Letters. 1422 to 1509 A.D., Volume 1, compiled by Edward Arber and James Gairdner, 1872


The letter:

To my ryght worchippfull hosbond, John Paston, be this delyveryd in hast.

Right worchipfull hosbond, I recommand me to yow, praying yow to wete that I have receyved your letter this day that ye sent me be Yelvertonys man. As for your signette, I fond itt uppon your bord the same day that ye went hens, and I send it yow be Richard Heberd, bringer herof. As for your eronds that ye wrete to me fore, Richard Charles is owte abough your eronds abowte Gresham, and for his awyn maters also, and I suppose he komyth not hom tyll it be Tesday or Wedenesday next komyng; and alssone as he komyth hom, he shall go abowte your eronds that ye wrete to me fore.

I sent yow a letter wreten on Tesday last past, whiche, as I suppose, Roger Ormesby delyveryd yow. I toke it to Alson Pertryche. She rod with Clyppysbys wyff to London.

I pray yow if ye have an other sone that you woll lete it be named Herry, in remembrans of your brother Herry; also I pray yow that ye woll send me dats and synamun as hastyly as ye may. I have speke with John Damme of that ye bad me sey to hem to sey to Thomas Note, and he say he was wel payd that ye seyd and thowgh therin as ye dede. Ner'les I bad hym that he shuld sey to the seyd Thomas therin as it wer of hymself with owte your avys or any others; and he seyd he shuld so, and that it shuld be purveyd for this next weke at the ferthest. The blyssed Trinyte have yow in his kepyng.

Wretyn att Norwyche, in hast, the Fryday next befor Candelmesse day.
Be your gronyng wyff,
M. P

With modernised spelling:

To my right worshipful husband, John Paston, be this delivered in haste.

Right worshipful husband, I recommend me to you, praying you to wit that I have received your letter this day that ye sent me by Yelverton's man. As for your signet, I fond it upon your board the same day that ye went hence, and I send it you be Richard Heberd, bringer hereof. As for your errands that ye writ to me fore, Richard Charles is out about your errands about Gresham, and for his own matters also, and I suppose he cometh not home till it be Tuesday or Wednesday next coming; and alsoon as he cometh home, he shall go about your errands that ye writ to me fore.

I sent you a letter written on Tuesday last past, which, as I suppose, Roger Ormesby delivered you. I took it to Alison Pertryche. She rode with Clippesby's wife to London.

I pray you if ye have another son that you would let it be named Harry, in remembrance of your brother Harry; also I pray you that ye would send me dates and cinnamon as hastily as ye may. I have speak with John Damme of that ye bade me say to him to say to Thomas Note, and he say he was well paid that ye said and though therein as ye did. Ne'erless I bade him that he should say to the said Thomas therein as it were of himself without your advice or any other's; and he said he should so, and that it should be purveyed for this next week at the furthest. The blessed Trinity have you in his keeping.

Written at Norwich, in haste, the Friday next before Candlemass day.
Be your groaning wife,
M. P

Notes: wit = to know.

fore = before.

alsoon = as soon as (Northern English dialect word.)

ne'erless = nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment