Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Catherine of Aragon's letter to Thomas Wolsey, dated August 13, 1513

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 82, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Catherine of Aragon, queen consort of England, painted by Michael Sittow.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

Maister Almoner I receyved bothe your Lettres by Copynger and John Glyn, and I ... [was] veray gladde to here soo well the King passeth his daungerous passage, the Franshem... being present. I trust to God it shal soo contynue that ever the King shal hau .... best on his enemyes with as grete honor as ever King had. Til I sawe your Lettre I ... [was] trobled to here soo nere the King was to the siege of Tyrwyn for thinconvenients ... his owne personne; but now I thanke God ye make me suer of the good hede that the ..... [King] taketh of hymself to avoide almaner daungiers. I pray you good M. Almoner remembre the King alwayes thus to contynue: ffor wt his lif and helthe there .. [is] noo thing in the world that shal com to hym amys by the grace of God, and wtout that I can see nomaner good thing shal falle after it: and being suer th.. ye wil not forgete this, I wol saye herin noo mor. But I pray you to write to me, and though ye have noo grete matiers, yit I pray you sende me worde ... the chief that is to me from the Kings own self. Ye may think whan I put yo ... this labor that I forgete the grete besinesse that ye have in hand, but if ye re.... in what caas I am that is witout any comfort or pleashr onlesse I here from ... ye wol not blame me to desire you (though it bee a short lettre) to let me kno.. from you tydings as often as may bee, as my trusting deserneth vnto you. From hens I have noo thing to write to you, but that ye bee not soo besy the.. warre, as we bee here encombred wt it. I meane that touching myn own ... for going farther wher I shal not soo often her from the King; and al his sub... bee veray gladde, I thanke God, to bee besy with the Scotts, for thay take it for .. passe tyme. My hert is veray good to it, and I am horrible besy wt making standerds, banners, and bagies. I pray God furst to send ther with you a good .... as I trust he shal doo, and with that every thing her shal goo veray well ..... you to sende me worde wheder ye receyved the Lettres that I sent vnto you to t....... of the King my fader, and what answer he gave you to it. And wt this ....... an ende. At Richemount the xiij. day of August.
KATHERINA THE QWENE.
Maister Almoner.

Notes: Franshem... = Frenchmen

shal hau .... = shall have the

thinconvenients ... = [the inconvenience] of

almaner = all manner

yo ... = you to

her = hear

sub... = subjects

for .. = for a

bagies = badges

No comments:

Post a Comment