Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Elizabeth Boteler's letter to BP. Roland Lee, dated October 13, 1539

Source:

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14, Part 2: August-December 1539, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895


The letter:

I thank your Lordship for moving my lord Privy Seal "in my matter of Mr. Butler's dealing with me." I now learn that all his land is in recovery to the King's use till a certain sum of money be paid, so that neither I, "his said son," nor my daughter can have any jointure thereof. Mr. Butler's son is a kinsman of yours by the Lees of Bradley; wherefore he causes me to write to you the more boldly for your favour to him and me. Please write in his favour to my lord Privy Seal to find means that the King's money may be paid. At my marriage with Mr. Butler he and four knights were bound to Sir John Dudley and my brother Sir George Greysley to fulfil certain obligations specified in a pair of indentures which I kept in a coffer in my chambers, which coffer was broken and the obligation taken forth by his command, so that without your letter to the lord Privy Seal my daughter is undone, for he has had all her marriage money bequeathed to her by her father. Please date your letter seven days hereafter "whereas your Lordship do think to be at that time," for my daughter is so great bellied that I must make small jorneys. Colton, St. Edward's Day last past.

No comments:

Post a Comment