Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Duchess Adelaide of Clarence's letter to her niece the new Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland, dated May 26, 1837

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Adelaide, Duchess of Clarence and Dowager Queen of Great Britain, Ireland and Hanover, lithograph by Richard James Lane.


Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Alfred Edward Chalon.

The letter:

WINDSOR CASTLE, 20th June 1837.
MY DEAREST NIECE... I feel most grateful for your kind letter full of sympathy with my irreparable loss, and thank you with all my heart for your feeling expressions on this melancholy occasion. I am, as you may suppose, deeply affected by all the sad scenes I have gone through lately; but I have the great comfort to dwell upon the recollection of the perfect resignation, piety, and patience with which the dear King bore his trials and sufferings, and the truly Christian-like manner of his death.

Excuse my writing more at present, my heart is overwhelmed and my head aches very much. Accept the assurance of my most affectionate devotion, and allow me to consider myself always as your Majesty's most affectionate Friend, Aunt, and Subject,
ADELAIDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment