Thursday, April 29, 2021

Catherine of Aragon's letter to Thomas Wolsey after the Battle of Flodden Field, year 1513

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 89, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Catherine of Aragon, queen consort of England, painted by Michael Sittow.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

Maister Almoner whan the last messanger went I wrote not to you, bicause I had not the suerte of every thing that was doon in the bataill against the Scotts. Now syns that tyme came a Post from my lord Howard with a writing at length of every thing as it was, whiche I now send to the King; and ye shal therby perceyve soo grete a gift that almighty God hath sent to the King; for to me it is thought the grettest honor that ever Prince had; his subgetts in his absence not oonly to have the Victorye but also to slee the King and many of his noblemen. This matier is soo marvelous that it semeth to bee of Godds doing aloone. I trust the King shal remembre to thanke hym for it; for soo al the Reame her hath doon; and bicause ye shal knowe by my Lord Howards Lettre every thing better than I can write, it is noo nede herin to saye any mor of it.

Mr. Almoner, the King, when he was in Calays a grete whyle agoo, sent me a Lettre touching the matier betwixt my lord of Caunterbury and my lord of Wynchestre. I did after his commaundement, and shewed the same befor Sir Thomas Lovell and Mr Englefeld unto my Lord of Caunterbury, and I prayed hym to geve thanswer shortly, after the Kyngs mynde as he knewe it; for the matier was soo new to me that I wold goo noo further in it. Syns that tyme I have diverse seasons asked hym for the said answer, whiche I coude never have til now; and the same in a lettre I sende you herin closed. I pray you M. Almoner excuse me to the King for the taryeng of it soo long for I coude have it noo sonner. And with this I make an ende, prayeng you to contynue yor writing whiche is to me a grete comfort, and me thinketh it is a grete whyle agoo that I receyved any from you. At Woborne the xvj. day of Septembre.
KATHERINA THE QWENE.

M. Almoner I cannot sende you now my lord of Caunterbury's answer, for the cofer wherin it is goon to my next lodgyng and therfor I shal this night sende it you by post.

To Master Almoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment