Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife's letter to "Lepel", dated January 4, 1893

Source:

royaltyhistory on eBay



Above: Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife with her daughter Alexandra, photographed by W & D Downey.



(images courtesy of royaltyhistory)

Louise, Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife VA, CI (born Louise Victoria Alexandra Dagmar on February 20, 1867, died January 4, 1931) was the third child and eldest daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom; she was a younger sister of King George V. She was the eldest granddaughter of King Christian IX of Denmark. She was given the title of Princess Royal in 1905.

The letter:

Sandringham.
Jan. 4-th 1893.
My dear Lepel,
Many thanks fr your two nice letters & for sending me the cards for the Calendar. I hope that you are quite well & that your husband is better. I am so sorry to hear that he had bronchitis. I wish you both, & do does my husband, the happiest of new years, & indeed I hope it may be so, for us all, as the last one was so sad: Each day now, as it goes by, reminds us of our great sorrow. & it will be a relief when the 14th is past! Our beloved Brother will ever be missed by us, & of course, each anniversary is sad! without him! —

My sweet Baby has been ill with a very bad feverish cold, wh. made us very anxious, but I am happy to say she is better now. It is delightful being here all together & we are having awfully cold weather. With best love & our best wishes to you both for the new year.
Believe me,
dear Lepel,
Yrs. affectionately
Louise.

Notes: "Our beloved Brother" = Prince Albert Victor of Clarence, who had died on January 14th, 1892. The other death anniversaries of the "14th" were those of Louise's grandfather Prince Albert, who died on December 14, 1861; and of her great-aunt Princess Alice, who died on December 14, 1878.

No comments:

Post a Comment