Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Lady Honor Grenville, Viscountess Lisle's letter to her husband Sir John Basset, dated September 27, 1539

Source:

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14, Part 2: August-December 1539, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895



Above: Honor Grenville, Viscountess Lisle, photo courtesy of Lobsterthermidor at Wikimedia Commons.


Above: Sir John Basset, artist unknown.

The letter:

In consequence of the weather being so boisterous we have had no passage hence these seven days, when I wrote my letters and sent them by this bearer My lord Chamberlain has been waiting all this time to cross, and certain rench gentlemen. Mr. Bekkensale is here, sent for by my lord Privy Seal, also Larke, waiting on my lord Chamberlain. I am afraid I shall not have anyone so fit to write my letters. Calais, 27 Sept.

I beg you, be good lord to the Prior, who comes over with my lord Chamberlain. "Hanse which was drum here is departed." ...

No comments:

Post a Comment