Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Lady Margaret Bryan's letter to Thomas Cromwell, 1st Earl of Essex, dated March 11, 1539

Source:

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14, Part 2: August-December 1539, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895


The letter:

My lord Prince is in good health and merry. Would to God the King and your Lordship had seen him last night. The minstrels played, and his Grace danced and played so wantonly that he could not stand still, as Mr. Chamberlain and my lady his wife can show you. I thank you for your kindness to my poor daughter Carow, who sends me word the King means her to have lands in Sussex to the value of 120/., but there is no house on it she can lie in, and I beg she may keep Blecheyngle, which His Grace gave her without asking. It would comfort her poor children to have these two to her and her heirs male. Your Lordship knows what case I am in, and she has not been used to strait living, and it would grieve me in my old days to lose her. I would fain write to his Grace, but will not without your advice. From Hunsdon.

Note: fain = gladly.

No comments:

Post a Comment