Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough's letter to Queen Anne, year 1707

Source:

Private correspondence of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough: illustrative of the court and times of Queen Anne, volume 1, H. Colburn, London, 1838



Above: Sarah Churchill, painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller.


Above: Queen Anne, painted by Charles Jervas after Sir Godfrey Kneller.

The letter:

I am glad your Majesty's kindness to my cousin Hill, has been the occasion of doing a thing that I have thought a good while was reasonable; and though I was not so lucky as to be heard upon that subject no more than upon many others, I hope it will prove for your Majesty's service; and for other solicitations, if I could be so indiscreet as to repeat it, you know by experience how easily you can resist them. But I must own I have not many suitors, and I believe the secret begins to be discovered, especially at court; in a little time I may expect a great deal of ease from it, and I have been for some years so much used to Mrs. Morley's unkind and unjust usage of Mrs. Freeman, that the trouble of it is pretty well over. My greatest concern now is to think of the prejudice it must do Mrs. Morley, when the true cause of it is known, which will make her character so very different from that which has always been given by her faithful Freeman. Till I know what way Mrs. Hill is to be presented to you, I do nothing in that matter.

Note: Mrs. Freeman was Anne's nickname for Sarah and Mrs. Morley was her nickname for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment