Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Maud Graynfyld's letter to Lady Honor Grenville, Viscountess Lisle, dated August 31, 1539

Source:

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14, Part 2: August-December 1539, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895


The letter:

I received your letter, as I was with lord Russell, and gave your commendations to my husband and a great number of your kin, who did not a little rejoice that you remembered such poor folk as we your poor kin. We have ofttimes drunk to you, and so hath lord and lady Russell. I have never been so gently entertained in my life as by him. All our kin would rejoice to hear of your coming to this country. If you were here my husband would be better entreated to remain in these parts. I desire to be recommended to all my good cousins, lady Klynton, lady Gray, lady Carow, and lady Renslee, if she be there. Stawe, 31 August. By your assured neys, Mawte Graynefyld.

No comments:

Post a Comment