Thursday, April 29, 2021

Catherine of Aragon's letter to Thomas Wolsey, dated August 25, 1513

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 84, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Catherine of Aragon, queen consort of England, painted by Wenceslaus Holler.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, painted by Sampson Strong.

The letter:

Maister Almoner, what comfort I have with the good tydings of yor lettre I nede not write it to you, for the veray reason that I have, sheweth it. The Victorye hath been soo grete that I think noon suche hath been seen befor. Al England hath cause to thanke God of it, and I specially, seeing that the King begynneth soo well; whiche is to me a grete hope that thende shalbe like. I pray God sende the same shortly, for if this contynue soo still, I truste in hym that every thing shal folowe thereafter to the Kings pleasur and my comfort. M. Almoner, for the payne ye take remembring to write to me soo often, I thanke you for it wt al my hert, prayeng you to contynue stil sending me worde how the King doeth, and if he kepe stil his good rule as he beganne. I thinke wt the companye of themperor and wt his good counsaill his Grace shal not aventure hymself soo moche as I was aferde of befor. I was veray gladde to here the metyng of thaym both, which hath been to my semyng the grettest honor to the King that ever came to Prince. Themperor hath doon every thing like himself. I trust to God he shalle therby knowen for oon of thexcellentest Princes in the Worlde, and taken for a nother man than he was befor thought. M. Almoner I thinke myself that I am soo bounde to hym for my part, that, in my Lettre, I beseche the King to recommende me vnto hym, and if his Grace thinketh that this shalbe wel doon I pray you to remembre it. Newes fromhens I have noon; but suche as I .. suer the counsaill have advertised the King of, and therby ye shal see howe Almighty God helpeth her our part aswel as ther. I trowe the cause is (a ... here saye) that the King disposeth hymself to hym soo wel that I hope al .. shalbe the better for his merits. And wt this I make an ende. At Riche... the XXVti day of August.
KATHERINA THE QWENE.

With modernised spelling:

Master Almoner, what comfort I have with the good tidings of your letter I need not write it to you, for the very reason that I have, sheweth it. The Victory hath been so great that I think none such hath been seen before. All England hath cause to thank God of it, and I specially, seeing that the King beginneth so well; which is to me a great hope that the end shall be like. I pray God send the same shortly, for if this continue so still, I trust in him that everything shall follow thereafter to the King's pleasure and my comfort. M. Almoner, for the pain ye take remembering to write to me so often, I thank you for it with all my heart, praying you to continue still sending me word how the King doeth, and if he keep still his good rule as he began. I think with the company of the emperor and with his good counsel his Grace shall not adventure himself so much as I was afraid of before. I was very glad to hear the meeting of them both, which hath been to my seeming the greatest honour to the King that ever came to Prince. The emperor hath done everything like himself. I trust to God he shall thereby known for one of the excellentest Princes in the World, and taken for another man than he was before thought. M. Almoner I think myself that I am so bound to him for my part, that, in my Letter, I beseech the King to recommend me unto him, and if his Grace thinketh that this shall be well done I pray you to remember it. News fromhence I have none; but such as I am sure the counsel have advertised the King of, and thereby ye shall see how Almighty God helpeth here our part as well as there. I trow the cause is (as I hear say) that the King disposeth himself to him so well that I hope all shall be the better for his merits. And with this I make an end. At Richmond the 25th day of August.
CATHERINE THE QUEEN.

Notes: shew = to show

I ... = [I] am

her = here

a ... here = as I hear

advertise = to warn

trow = to believe

Riche... = Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment