Thursday, December 24, 2020

Elizabeth Allen (Wedgwood)'s letter to her husband Josiah Wedgwood, dated September 1, 1800

Source:

Emma Darwin, a century of family letters, 1792-1896, Henrietta Emma Darwin Litchfield, 1915



Above: Elizabeth Allen, painted by George Romney.


Above: Josiah Wedgwood II, painted by William Owen.

The letter:

CRESSELLY, Sept. 1st, 1800.
MY DEAR JOS,
Contrary to your calculation, I received your letter of the 28th this evening, and it has made me very happy. I now hasten to write you my last dispatch from Cresselly, but I must make it short, as it is late, and I have taken a long walk which has tired me. I have been a fool to make myself at all uneasy upon the subject, when I knew at the same time that you would not be angry with me, but I don't know how it was, I thought you might feel uncomfortable, and indeed I felt so myself at the thoughts of our meeting being deferred. I have always written to you from the feelings of the moment, and perhaps I have sometimes given you a stronger impression of my being out of spirits than was just. John Allen and Mackintosh have enlivened our society very much, and I think my Father begins to relish society more than he did. I fancied he was a little afraid of Mackintosh at first, but he has now found out that he is by no means overbearing, and he finds himself comfortable in his company.

I am very glad I did not pursue my two schemes with relation to M. Allen and M. Ridgway, and I think you are perfectly right in what you say. I had no notion that our house was in so backward a state when I thought of Harriet [Surtees] paying us a visit, but if I find it inconvenient when we get to Gunville it will be very easy to put them off.

I am very glad you acquit me of all jealousy with respect to dear Tom. I really deserve it, for there are no sacrifices I would not make to be of any service to him, compatible with my other duties. I hope he has joined you by this time, and that he finds he can pursue his game with pleasure and advantage. My kind love to him.
I am, my dearest Jos,
Yours ever,
E. WEDGWOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment