Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Queen Anne's letter to Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, year 1706

Source:

Private correspondence of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough: illustrative of the court and times of Queen Anne, volume 1, H. Colburn, London, 1838



Above: Queen Anne, engraving by Robert White.


Above: Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, engraving by Sir Godfrey Kneller.

...

~ as I drown / you will own my soul / and everything that comes along with that... ~
(lyrics from "Swill" by Jónsi)

...

The letter:

Monday night.
Just as I came from Basset I received my dear Mrs. Freeman's letter, and though it is very late, I cannot content myself without thanking you for it. I hope by this time you have seen Lord Treasurer how innocent I am of one complaint, and so I think I am in all the others; for as for my not saying any thing to you in the Duke of Marlborough's letter, I did not think it necessary, nor you would not either at any other time. And as to not enquiring after you the first time you came from Margate, how was it possible, not hearing of it till I was just going out of town myself? I shall dine at St. James's, an it please God, to-morrow, and shall be very glad to see you there, when I am alone; and be assured, whenever you will be the same to me as you was five years ago, you shall find me the same tender, faithful Morley.

Note: Mrs. Freeman was Anne's nickname for Sarah and Mrs. Morley was her nickname for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment