Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her stepmother Jane Seymour, dated July 31, 1537

Sources:

La vie d'Elizabeth, reine d'Angleterre, volume 1, Gergorio Leti, 1703


The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Elizabeth (portrayed by Claire MacCauley) in the Showtime series The Tudors.


Above: Jane Seymour, painted by Hans Holbein the Younger.

Princess Elizabeth wrote this letter to her stepmother Jane Seymour on July 31, 1537, when she was not yet four years old.

The letter:

MADAME,
Quoi que la Lettre que Vôtre Majesté m'a fait l'honneur de m'écrire ait beaucoup servi à me consoler de Vôtre absence: sçachant pourtant, la peine que vous devez avoir à écrire dans l'état d'une grossesse aussi avancée qu'est celle de Vôtre Majeste, je me serois estimés assez heureuse d'apprendre de vos nouvelles, par les Lettres du Roy mon pere. Je sens un plaisir extrême d'apprendre que Vôtre Majesté se porte bien, & qu'elle se plaît à la campagne. Je la remercie trés-humblement aussi de l'honneur qu'Elle me fait de me souhaiter auprés d'elle. Je m'estimerois si heureuse d'y être, que si je ne m'en éloignois que lors que je n'aurois plus de plaisir auprés de Vôtre Majesté, il est certain que je vous accablerois par une importunité continuelle, puis qu'il est vrai que l'honneur de Vôtre compagnie me rendroit infiniment agréable le plus triste sejour du monde. J'ai beaucoup d'obligation au Roi mon Pere, de ce qu'il me donne souvent des nouvelles de sa santé: mais quand il auroit oublié de le faire en cette occasion, je ne le sçaurois trouver mauvais, pourvû qu'il m'aprenne de temps en temps, l'état de l'enfant qui lui dont bien-tôt naître. Si je m'y trouvois quand il viendra au monde, je ne sçai si je pourrois m'empêcher de le bien battre pour me venger des douleurs, qu'il vous aura fait souffrir. Monsieur & Madame Denny, remercient trés humblement Vôtre Majesté du bon souvenir que vous leur témoignez, & prient Dieu pour Vôtre heureux accouchement. Ma Gouvernante vous remercie aussi, & fait les mêmes vœux pour Vôtre Majesté. Ecrit à la hâte le dernier Juillet 1537. Vôtre trés-humble servante & fille,
ELIZABETH.

English translation (from source 2):

July 31, 1537.
Madame, — Although the letter which your Majesty has been good enough to write to me has consoled me very much for your absence, yet, knowing how it must trouble you to write in your present state of health, I should have accounted myself happy in learning news of you from the letters of the King, my father. I feel the greatest pleasure in learning that your Majesty is well and that the country pleases you. I also thank your Majesty very humbly for the honour you do me in wishing to have me with you. I should think myself so happy to be there that I should never go far while I had the pleasure of being near your Majesty, and I should certainly overwhelm you with constant importunities, for the honour of your company would make the dullest place the most delightful in the world. I am under a great obligation to the King, my father, for so often giving me news of your health, but if he should forget to inform me I should not take it ill, provided he will let me hear from time to time of the child who is so soon to be born to him. If I should be there when he comes into the world, I do not know how I should keep myself from giving him a good beating in revenge for the pain he has made you suffer. Mr. and Mrs. Denny very humbly thank your Majesty for your kind remembrance of them, and pray to God for your happy delivery. My governess also thanks you and offers the same prayers for your Majesty. Written in haste on the last day of July, 1537. Your very humble servant and daughter,
ELIZABETH.

No comments:

Post a Comment