Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princess Mary's letter to her father King Henry VIII, dated October 2, 1533

Source:

The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.


Above: King Henry VIII, painted by Joos van Cleve.

The letter:

BEAULIEU, October 2, 1533.
In most humble wise I beseech your Grace of your daily blessing. Pleaseth the same to be advertised, that this morning my chamberlain came and showed me that he had received a letter from Sir William Paulet, comptroller of your household; the effect whereof was that I should, with all diligence, remove to the Castle of Hertford. Whereupon I desired him to see that letter, which he showed me, wherein was written that "the lady Mary, the king's daughter, should remove to the place aforesaid" — leaving out in the same the name of princess. Which, when I heard, I could not a little marvel, trusting verily that your Grace was not privy to the same letter, as concerning the leaving out of the name of princess, forasmuch as I doubt not that your Grace doth take me for your lawful daughter, born in true matrimony. Wherefore, if I were to say to the contrary, I should in my conscience run into the displeasure of God, which I hope assuredly that your Grace would not that I should do.

And in all other things your Grace shall have me, always, as humble and obedient daughter and handmaid as ever was child to the father, which my duty bindeth me to, as knoweth our Lord, who have your Grace in his most holy tuition, with much honour and long life to his pleasure. By your most humble daughter, Mary, Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment