Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her half-sister Princess Mary, year 1547

Sources:

La vie d'Elizabeth, reine d'Angleterre, volume 1, Gergorio Leti, 1703


The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Elizabeth as princess, formerly attributed to William Scrots.


Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.

The letter:

Ma chere Princesse, & ma trés chere sœur,
Vous avez bien raison de dire, dans la lettre que vous m'avez fait l'honneur de m'écrire, que nos interests estant communs, la douleur que nous avons de voir les cendres, ou plûtôt le corps encore presque vivant du Roy nôtre Pére, si honteusement deshonoré par la Reine nôtre mere, nous doit estre commune aussi; Je ne saurois vous exprimer, ma chére Princesse, combien j'ai senti d'affliction à la prémiere nouvelle que j'ai eu de ce mariage, & je n'y ai pû trouver d'autre consolation, que celle de nous soumettre aux decrets du Ciel, puis que nous ne sommes en estat, ni vous ni moy, d'y apporter aucun obstacle sans courir risque de rendre nôtre condition encore pire qu'elle n'est du moins je le croi ainsi. Nous avons à faire à un Parti trop puissant, qui a toute l'autorité en main, & nous n'avons aucun credit en Cour. J'estime donc que le meilleur parti que nous puissions prendre, c'est celui de dissimuler afin que la peine tombe sur les coupables. Car enfin il faut compter que la memoire du Roy nôtre Pére est assez glorieuse pour se soûtenir, d'elle-mesme & que les taches dont on voudroit la couvrir, retomberont sur ceux qui le veulent deshonorer. Le meilleur sera donc de souffrir, ce que nous ne pouvons empêcher. Si nôtre silence ne nous fait pas honneur, du moins il ne nous attirera pas de nouvelles disgraces. C'est-là mon sentiment, qu'il me semble que la raison m'inspire de vous écrire en réponse à vôtre agréable lettre. Pour ce qui est de rendre des visites, je ne vois pas que vous qui êtes l'aînée y soyez obligée, mais l'estat où je suis m'oblige à prendre d'autres mesures: la Reine m'ayant témoigné tant d'amitié, & rendu tant de bons offices; qu'il faut que je gouverne avec elle avec beaucoup de circonspection, de peur de paroître ingrate. Je ne m'empresserai pourtant pas à lui rendre visite, afin que l'on ne m'accuse d'approuver ce que je devrois blâmer. Cependant j'aurai toûjours beaucoup de deférence pour les instructions que vous me donnez, & serai toûjours soûmise à tout ce qu'il vous plaira m'ordonner, estant, de Vôtre Altesse, &c.

English translation (from source 2):

1547.
Princess, and very dear sister, — You are very right in saying, in your most acceptable letters, which you have done me the honour of writing to me, that, our interests being common, the just grief we feel in seeing the ashes, or rather the scarcely cold body of the King, our father, so shamefully dishonoured by the queen, our stepmother, ought to be common to us also. I cannot express to you, my dear princess, how much affliction I suffered when I was first informed of this marriage, and no other comfort can I find than that of the necessity of submitting ourselves to the decrees of Heaven; since neither you nor I, dearest sister, are in such a condition as to offer any obstacle thereto, without running heavy risk of making our own lot much worse than it is; at least, so I think. We have to deal with too powerful a party, who have got all authority into their hands, while we, deprived of power, cut a very poor figure at Court. I think, then, that the best course we can take is that of dissimulation, that the mortification may fall upon those who commit the fault. For we may rest assured that the memory of the King, our father, being so glorious in itself, cannot be subject to those stains which can only defile the persons who have wrought them. Let us console ourselves by making the best of what we cannot remedy. If our silence do us no honour, at least it will not draw down upon us such disasters as our lamentations might induce.

These are my sentiments, which the little reason I have dictates, and which guides my respectful reply to your agreeable letter. With regard to the returning of visits, I do not see that you, who are the elder, are obliged to this; but the position in which I stand obliges me to take other measures; the queen having shown me such great affection, and done me so many kind offices, that I must use much tact in manœuvering with her, for fear of appearing ungrateful for her benefits. I shall not, however, be in any hurry to visit her, lest I should be charged with approving what I ought to censure.

However, I shall always pay much deference to your instructions and commands, in all which you shall think convenient or serviceable to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment