Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her stepmother Catherine Parr, dated July 31, 1544

Sources:


Letters of royal and illustrious ladies of Great Britain, from the commencement of the twelfth century to the close of the reign of Queen Mary, volume 3, edited by Mary Anne Everett Wood, H. Colburn, London, 1846



Above: Elizabeth as princess, formerly attributed to William Scrots.


Above: Catherine Parr, after Hans Eworth.


The letter (in parts, as it is now partially ruined):

L'inimica fortuna inuidiosa d'ogni bene et voluitrice de cose humane ... priuò per un' anno intero della Ill:mà presentia vostra, et non ess... anchora contenta di questo, vn' altra uolta me spoglio del mede... bene: la qual cosa a me saria intollerabile, ß io non pensaßi be... di goderla. Et in questo mio exilio certamente conostò la... sua altezza hauer hauuto cura et sollicitudine, della sanità... quanto fatto haurebbe la maiestà del Re. Per la qual cosa... sono tenuta de seruirla, ma etiandio da figlial amore reuer... intendendo vostra Ill:ma Altezza non me hauer domentic... Volta che alla maiestà del Re ha scritto: il che a me ap... quella prieghare. Pero insino a qua non hebbi ardire... per il che al presente uostra Eccell:ma altezza humilmēte... che scriuendo a sua maistà si degni de raccōmend... gando sempre son dolce benedettione, simulmēte pr... signore Iddio gli mandi succeßo boniß:mo acquis... soui inimici, accioche piu presto poßia uostra... con lei rallegrarsi del suo felice retorno. N... dio che conserui sua Ill:ma altezza alla cui... [b]asciando le mani m'offero et racomm[ando]... Jacobo alli 31 di Julio

English translation (from source 2):

Inimical fortune, envious of all good and ever revolving human affairs, has deprived me for a whole year of your most illustrious presence, and, not thus content, has yet again robbed me of the same good; which thing would be intolerable to me, did I not hope to enjoy it very soon. And in this my exile, I well know that the clemency of your highness has had as much care and solicitude for my health as the king's majesty himself. By which thing I am not only bound to serve you, but also to revere you with filial love, since I understand that your most illustrious highness has not forgotten me every time you have written to the king's majesty, which, indeed, it was my duty to have requested from you. For heretofore I have not dared to write to him. Wherefore I now humbly pray your most excellent highness, that, when you write to his majesty, you will condescend to recommend me to him, praying ever for his sweet benediction, and similarly entrusting our Lord God to send him best success, and the obtaining of victory over his enemies, so that your highness and I may, as soon as possible, rejoice together with him on his happy return. No less pray I God, that he would preserve your most illustrious highness; to whose grace, humbly kissing your hands, I offer and recommend myself.
From St. James's, this 31st of July.
Your most obedient daughter, and most faithful servant,
ELIZABETH.

No comments:

Post a Comment