Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Excerpt from King Kristina of Sweden's letter to Johan Adler Salvius, dated December 12, 1646

Sources:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 1, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


Christina, queen of Sweden (1890), by Francis William Bain



Above: King Kristina of Sweden, engraving by unknown artist.


Above: Johan Adler Salvius, by Pieter de Jode II.

The letter excerpt:

Wälborne Herr Hof-Canceller.
... Betackar mig ... nådeligen för eder anwände flit och giorda communication: beder j wille därutinnan intet förtröttas, utan så härefter som härtils fortfara i den ifwer, som j hafwe alt härtil temoignerat för mig och Cronans tienst, försäkrande Eder, at ehuruwäl kan ske många tiläfwentijrs skulle söka at denigrera Eder, likwäl skal iag aldrig tillåta at någon skal kunna skada Eder i någon måtto, utan när Gud hielper Eder med hälsan, ock wäl förrättade saker hem igen, skal iag wäl låta i werket påskina at iag är och förblifwer Eder altid med all gunst bewågen.
Christina

English translation (from source 2):

Well-Born Sir Court Chancellor,
I thank you for the trouble you take in conducting this great matter to a successful conclusion, and your communication: I beg you not to grow weary, but continue in the zeal you have manifested till now in my service and that of the kingdom. In return I assure you that though many should attempt, perchance, to blacken you here, I will permit none of them to do you wrong in any respect; on the contrary, should you by the grace of God return in good health and successful, I will let you know by solid results that I am and remain always disposed to favour you.
Kristina

The letter in full:

Wälborne Herr Hof-Canceller. Iag hafwer nogsamt förstått af edert bref dateradt Osnabrug den 23. Novembre, huru wida med freds handelen avancerat är, och hwad hinder och difficulteter däruti kunna förefalla: betackar mig fördenskull nådeligen för eder anwände flit och giorda communication: beder j wille därutinnan intet förtröttas, utan så härefter som härtils fortfara i den ifwer, som j hafwe alt härtil temoignerat för mig och Cronans tienst, försäkrande Eder, at ehuruwäl kan ske många tiläfwentijrs skulle söka at denigrera Eder, likwäl skal iag aldrig tillåta at någon skal kunna skada Eder i någon måtto, utan när Gud hielper Eder med hälsan, ock wäl förrättade saker hem igen, skal iag wäl låta i werket påskina at iag är och förblifwer Eder altid med all gunst bewågen.
Christina.
Stockholm den 12. December 1646.

P. S.
Hwad min yttersta willia och mening är, hafwe j at se af mit publica bref til Eder samteligen. Bär til Eder det wissa förtroende at j ingen ting låte Eder därifrån movera, och recommenderar Eder härmed fredens avancement på det högsta, dock med den condition, at j med Eder Collega icke en fot bredd cedere af det Eder i bemelte bref föreskrifwit är.

Angående de 100000 Riksdaler, som Gref Magnus hafwer optagit i Paris, är det intet skedt utan min willia och expresse befallning; Beder förthenskul at j icke wille tillåta (så mycket Eder tilstår) at hans owänner impunecalumnieran, medan han är helt oskyldig, utan at j honom försware så mycket Eder möijeligit är. Hwad nu Edre privata angelägenheter angår, warder Gref Göstaf Eder min mening skrifwandes, där på iag mig ock wil hafwa refererad, och befaller Eder Gudi. Datum ut in literis.

English translation (my own):

Well-born Sir Court Chancellor,
I have seen from your written letter from Osnabrück, dated November 23, how far the peace negotiation has advanced, as well as the obstacles and difficulties which may arise therein. I thank you graciously for the care and the pains you take to bring this great affair to a good end, and for your communication to me. I also ask you not to tire of it, but to always continue this zeal which you have shown so far for my service and for that of the Crown. As a reward I assure you, that even though so many might seek to blacken you here, I will never allow any of them to harm you in any way. But on the contrary, if God gives you the grace to come back here in good health and with good success in the negotiations, I will make you well known by effects that I am and always remain your affectionate to favour you,
Kristina.
Stockholm, December 12, 1646.

P. S.
As for my last will and my final feeling, you only have to see them in my public letters, which I sent to you jointly. I place in you this entire confidence that you will not allow yourself to be diverted from it by anything, and I hereby very expressly recommend the advancement of peace; however with this condition: that neither you nor your colleague deviate in the least from what has been ordered to you in my aforesaid rescript.

As regards the hundred thousand Riksdalers that Count Magnus borrowed in Paris, this was not done without my will nor without my express order. This is why I beg you, as much as it will depend on you, not to suffer his enemies to slander him with impunity, because he is completely innocent. So take his defense as much as you can. As regards your private affairs, Count Gustav will write to you my feelings, to which I relate, and I recommend you to God. Given as in the letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment