Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Ulrika Euphrosyna Skiöld's letter to her adult son Johan Horn the Younger and adolescent daughter Marie Horn, dated June 26, 1771 (FICTION)

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Mina hjertans-kjära Barn,
Det gifwer mig stor glädje at höra om edert sentiment, hwars existence jag redan hade soupçonnerat i många år, och tron mig när jag ſäger at jag hoppas at I kommen at finna all lycka och salighet i wärlden med hwilken Man eller Qwinna är destinerad at wara respective eder. Och när de komma, skal jag wälkomna dem til wår familie lika gjerna som jag wälkomnade eder.

Men, mina kära Barn, jag hoppas också at I fån mer lycka än jag har haft i mit ägtenskap med eder Fader. Johan, Du wet mycket wäl at jag altid har respecterat Din kärlek til klädningar, och nu Din kärlek til män, mycket mer än Din Fader någonsin har gjort, och jag måste erkänna at denna difference i mening gjenom åren har orsakat strid mellan oß. Jag war altid försigtig med at aldrig låta eder höra et ord om det, och I kunnen wäl se at jag ej kan acceptera hans désapprobation, och I hafwen mig och hwar-andra, så I måsten inte inquietera eder. Weten at jag altid wil älska och supportera eder oansedt hwad som sker, och jag är och förblifwer
Eder wäl och djupt affectionerade Moder
Ulrika Euphrosyna.
Stockholm den 26. Junii 1771.

English translation:

My beloved children,
It gives me great joy to hear of your feelings, whose existence I had already suspected for many years, and believe me when I say that I hope that you will find all the happiness and bliss in the world with whichever man or woman is respectively meant to be yours. And when they come, I will welcome them into our family just as gladly as I welcomed you.

But, my dear children, I also hope that you will have more happiness than I have had in my marriage with your father. Johan, you know very well that I have always appreciated your love for dresses, and now your love for men, far more than your father ever has, and I must confess that through the years, this difference in opinion has led to strife between us. I was always careful to never let you hear a word of it, and you can well see that I cannot accept his disapproval, and you have me and each other, so do not trouble yourselves. Know that I will always love and support you no matter what happens, and I am and remain
Your well and deeply affectionate mother
Ulrika Euphrosyna.
Stockholm, June 26, 1771.

No comments:

Post a Comment