Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Sophie Amalie Rosenkrantz's letter to Marie Horn the day after meeting at Marie's eighteenth birthday party, dated April 24, 1773 (FICTION)

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Madame,
I kommen at få detta bref på morgonen, ty jag skrifwer det under natten. Med detta bref finnen I et wackert exemplar af Rosa centifolia samt en Näseduk som jag sydde sielf i går, och jag hoppas at I förlåten mig för at jag inte har gifwit Eder något på Eder Födelsedag.

Det gaf mig stort plaisir at möta Eder, och jag wil lära mig känna Eder bätre, likasom I, utöfwer Hallonen, Philosophien och Rosorne. Jag wil weta Edra andra interessen och också mer om de andra interessen som I redan berättade för mig. Och jag hoppas at wi blefwe goda wänner, jag hafwer denna känsla djupt inuti mig; och deßutom woren I så ifwerig, jag känner redan at jag har lärt mig känna Eder bättre på några timmar än de flesta göra på några weckor.

Jag lofwade Eder at jag skulle berätta något mer om mit lif i detta bref. Ända sedan jag war barn föredrog jag altid at umgås med Pojkar. Äfwen om jag hafwer många klädningar, kläder jag mig ibland i kläderne som män bär, främst för at det är mer practiskt och lättare at flyta sig när man hafwer dem på sig. Det är i grund af denna föredragning (för at umgås med män) jag mötte Eder Broder. Han är werkligen en wänlig och aimabel man, men I kännen honom ju bättre än jag.

Jag hoppas at I mån wäl och at jag kan besöka Eder snart igen.
Sophie Amalie.
Stockholm den 24. April 1773.

English translation:

Madame,
You will receive this letter in the morning, as I am writing this letter during the night. With this letter you will find a lovely specimen of Rosa centifolia as well as a handkerchief which I sewed myself yesterday, and I hope that you will forgive me for not having given you anything on your birthday.

It gave me great pleasure to meet you, and I would like to get to know you better, as do you, beyond the raspberries, the philosophy and the roses. I want to know your other interests and also more about the other interests which you already told me about. And I hope that we will become good friends, I have this feeling deep within me; and besides, you were so eager, I already feel that I have gotten to know you better in a few hours than most people do in a few weeks.

I promised you that I would tell you something more about my life in this letter. Ever since I was a child, I always preferred to associate with boys. Although I have many dresses, I sometimes dress in the clothes that men wear, mainly because it is more practical and easier to move when one wears them. It is because of this preference (for associating with men) that I met your brother. He is truly a kind and amiable man, but you know him better than I do.

I hope that you are doing well and that I can visit again soon.
Sophie Amalie
Stockholm, April 24, 1773.

No comments:

Post a Comment