Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her stepmother Catherine Parr, year 1543

Sources:

La vie d'Elizabeth, reine d'Angleterre, volume 1, Gergorio Leti, 1703


The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Elizabeth as princess, formerly attributed to William Scrots.


Above: Catherine Parr, painted by Master John.

The letter:

MADAME,
L'affection que vous m'avez témoignée, de me vouloir souffrir à la Cour auprés de vous, & de le demander au Roy mon Pere avec tant d'empressement, est un pur effet de vôtre bonté. Une si grande marque de tendresse envers moi m'a obligée à m'examiner un peu, pour voir si je ne trouverois point en moi quelque chose qui l'eût meritée, mais je n'y ai rien trouvé qu'un grand zèle & une soumission profonde au service de Vôtre Majesté. Mais comme ce zele n'a pû encore paroître faute d'occasions & de forces; je voi bien que ce n'est que la grandeur d'ame de Vôtre Majesté qui la porte à me faire cet honneur, & c'est ce qui redouble mon zele envers Vôtre Majesté. Je la puis assure aussi que ma conduite sera telle, qu'elle n'aura pas sujet de se plaindre de m'avoir fait l'honneur de m'appeller auprés d'elle, à moins que les soins continuels, que j'ai fait dessein de prendre, pour me tenir toûjours, en estat de lui témoigner mon obéissance, & mon respect, ne lui devinssent incommodes. J'attens cependant avec beaucoup d'impatience les ordres du Roi mon Pere pour l'accomplissement de ce bonheur aprés lequel je soûpire, & je demeure avec beaucoup de soûmission, De Vôtre Majesté, Vôtre trés, &c.
ELIZABETH.

English translation (from source 2):

1543.
Madame, — The affection that you have testified in wishing that I should be suffered to be with you in the Court, and requesting this of the King my father, with so much earnestness, is a proof of your goodness. So great a mark of your tenderness for me obliges me to examine myself a little, to see if I can find anything in me that can merit it, but I can find nothing but a great zeal and devotion to the service of your Majesty. But as that zeal has not yet been called into action so as to manifest itself, I see well that it is only the greatness of soul in your Majesty which makes you do me this honour, and this redoubles my zeal towards your Majesty. I can assure you also that my conduct will be such that you shall never have cause to complain of having done me the honour of calling me to you; at least, I will make it my constant care that I do nothing but with a design to show always my obedience and respect. I await with much impatience the orders of the King my father for the accomplishment of the happiness for which I sigh, and I remain, with much submission, your Majesty's very dear ELIZABETH.

No comments:

Post a Comment