Thursday, December 24, 2020

Elizabeth Allen's letter to her husband Josiah Wedgwood, dated August 28, 1800

Source:

Emma Darwin, a century of family letters, 1792-1896, Henrietta Emma Darwin Litchfield, 1915



Above: Elizabeth Allen, painted by George Romney.


Above: Josiah Wedgwood II, painted by William Owen.

The letter:

CRESSELLY, Aug. 28th, 1800.
I have felt my heart very heavy with the idea that you would be angry with me for prolonging my stay after my repeated promises that I would not, but I really found it impossible to resist. I am not sure that it would have been right to have done so. If my Father's account of his own situation was accurate it certainly would have been barbarous in me not to have staid, and as he thinks it so, the effect would be much the same on his feelings. But I am sure I am not just to you in doubting for an instant that you will enter into my feelings. I am sure I suffer more in the delay than it is possible you can, because it is more my own doing. I am persuaded your next letter will do away all my present feelings, but the comfort of meeting you will be more than I can express.

Farewell, dear Jos, love to the Children and Miss Dennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment