Wednesday, December 30, 2020

King Kristina of Sweden's letter to Johan Adler Salvius, dated November 18, 1647

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 1, page 131, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751



Above: King Kristina of Sweden, painted probably by David Beck.


Above: Johan Adler Salvius, by Pieter de Jode II.

The letter:

Stockholm den 18 Novembre 1647.
Jag hafwer nu i långlig tid intet skrifwit eder till, mine månge affaires hafwa mig så occuperat, at iag icke hafwer kunnat anwända så mycken tjd som därtil fordras, doch giöre j mig stor tort, där j fälle något judicium där om, som kunde præjudicera den estime och goda affection, som eder trohet och importante tienster, så wäl som edre andre store meriter sig hos mig förwärfwat hafwa. Jag hoppas at iag det innan kort med wärcket bewisa skal, at detta icke är allenast ord, utan ock at iag realiter så menar; Ställer fördenskull edert sinne aldeles tilfrids, och warer försäkrad at iag skal maintinera eder fortun, mot alla Edra invidos, och at iag aldrig skal tillåta, at j af dem skulle blifwa förtrykt, medan iag nogsamt wet, at alle edre förfölielser, deraf sin ursprung hafwa, at j hafwe handlat som en ärlig man. In publicis hafwen j eder alldeles efter mine förrige publica bref at rätta. Iag hafwer därutinnan aldeles mina tanckar uptäkt, wet altså för denne gången intet mera at påminna. Gifwe Gud at sakerne kunde tillåta, at j måtte giöra en resa hit, på det iag måtte kunna rådfråga eder om några saker, som sig icke så skrifwa låta. Imedlertid måtte iag patientera och se huru alt will gå. Där freds Tractaten skulle längre stå, skulle iag önska, at hafwa chiffrer med eder, som ingen wiste mer än Gref Magnus och Niels Nielsson, ty iag tryggeligen tror den ena och den andra af desse twå. Men kommer dag så kommer råd. Iag beder J willien giöra eder fljt om Benefeldt, och mig om alt flitigt avisera; kunde mit förrige förslag taga lag, så wore det mycket godt, och giorde J mig en behagelig tienst dermed; dock måtte alt drifwas med maneret, sine publico detrimento, och befaller Eder härmed i Guds beskydd.
Christina.

English translation (my own, from Johan Arckenholtz's French translation):

Stockholm, November 18, 1647.
It has been a long time since I wrote to you. So many things that I have on my hands have occupied me so that I have not been able to find the time I needed for it. You would do me a great disservice if you were to pass a judgment which might prejudice the esteem and affection which you have won for yourself with me by your loyalty, by your good services, as well as by other great qualities. I hope to mark you soon indeed, that these are not mere words here, but my real feelings towards you. Therefore, turn all your thoughts to peace, and rest assured that I will support your fortune against all those who envy you, and that I will never allow them to oppress you, since I know well enough that all the persecutions that are made against you have no other source than this: that you have acted as an honest man. In public affairs you have only to conform purely and simply to my public instructions, as I have declared and detailed my feelings to you there. So I cannot remember anything else for the present.

May God let affairs permit you to take a trip here! because I would like to consult with you on certain things which I cannot put on paper. However, I must be patient, and see how things will go.

If the peace negotiations last any longer, I would like to have a digital letter business with you, which none other than you, Count Magnus and Nils Nilsson knew about, for I trust the three of you completely. However, time will tell us what to do.

I beg you to use your care with regard to Benefeldt, and to give me exact advice. If my project could succeed, that would be a very good thing, and you would do me a pleasant service in that. However, everything must be carried out with the required formalities, without any damage being done to the public interest. I recommend you to divine protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment