Friday, December 25, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated September 2, 1836

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Alexandre-Jean Dubois Drahonet.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, artist unknown.

The letter:

2nd September 1836.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — ... The state of Spain is most alarming and unfortunate. I do hope something will be done. The news were rather better yesterday and the day before. The Christinos had gained a victory over the Carlists. I take a great interest in the whole of this unfortunate affair. I hope and trust Portugal may not suffer by all the affairs of Spain, but much is to be feared. Dieskau will have told you much about the internal affairs, which seem to go on very prosperously. Pray has the Duchess of Braganza written to you or Aunt Louise since Ferdinand's marriage?

You did not send me the King of Naples' letter, as you said you would; pray do so in your next letter. I hope he will come here next year. You do not mention France, so I hope all is quiet. The Duke of Orleans is quite well again, I am happy to hear from Aunt Louise. Now I must conclude, begging you to believe me, always, your most truly attached and really devoted Niece,
VICTORIA.

Note: Spain was divided in civil war at the time this letter was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment