Monday, December 21, 2020

Lydia Dugard's letter to her cousin Samuel Dugard, dated February 6, 1669

Source:

Dear Cousin
How glad I am to hear of your better health you may easily guise, when I shall tell you how much tis wish't for and desired by mee, how like you I grow when I am told the contrary, and how apt I am to fear the worst when there to others thinking there is so litle ground of fears that should some know perhaps they'd smile and say my thoughts were too much taken up, and it was care needles to be so much consern'd for anothers wellfare. but sure you won't be one of those, won't blame me for that which your self is the cause of. till the cause be removed the effects will continue, and till you sease to bee what you are (which I beleive will never be) I cant allter or grow weary of loving one whose deserts call for the greatest respect and whose affection I should be ungratfull too did I not answer with the like. but I begin to chek my self for writing so truly, and taking such a liberty as will cost me a blush when I think you are reading it. it is a fault (for some would call it so, if you dont,) I am often run in to, which I somtimes blame my self for, but which I the lese unwillingly allow my self in because (if I have not forgot) I speak with lese confidence and more feare by word of mouth then in paper. if you dislike it, tell me, and Ile promise to be guilty of it no more. I did not think such reports would have bin spread abroad from our Whitford Journy. a year or two since it would have troubled me much, but now since I am so used to hear people talk of you and mee, I matter it but litle and can hear all they say. a Gentalwoman at London hearing my Uncle had two sons said she beleivd one of them would not allwayes call me cousin. she told me she wish'd me very well and bid me to be well advised, and not rashly dispose of my self. with abundence more of good counsell, she urged me so much and beg'd me so earnestly to tell her the truth, that at last, being tired with her importunity since she was my Mothers great freind, since she lov'd me almost from my cradle, since I realy beleivd sheed be faithfull, and sinc I was tired with her importunity I confes'd some of the truth. I am not sorry I did so. if I had bin silent she would have thought (it may be) I was inveagld, and should undervalue my self. but when I told her what you was. she changed her advice and cautions into approbacion and said she liked it a great deal better then if I had lov'd some young gallant though he had a good estate...

No comments:

Post a Comment