Friday, December 25, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated August 9, 1836

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, artist unknown.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, lithograph by Luigi Calamatta.

The letter:

9th August 1836.
MY BELOVED UNCLE, — ... I was sure you would be very much pleased with Ernest and Albert as soon as you knew them more; there cannot be two more good and sensible young men than they are. Pray, dear Uncle, say everything most kind from me to them.

We go to Buxted to-morrow morning, and stay there till next Monday.

All the gaieties are now over. We took leave of the Opera on Saturday, and a most brilliant conclusion to the season it was. Yesterday I took my farewell lesson with Lablache, which I was very sorry to do. I have had twenty-six lessons with him, and I look forward with pleasure to resume them again next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment