Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her stepmother Catherine Parr, year 1547 (has been posted here before)

Source:

The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Elizabeth as princess, formerly attributed to William Scrots.


Above: Catherine Parr, artist unknown.

The letter:

CHESHUNT, 1547.
Although I could not be plentiful in giving thanks for the manifold kindness received at your Highness' hand at my departure, yet I am something to be borne withal, for truly I was replete with sorrow to depart from your Highness, especially leaving you undoubtful of health: and albeit I answered little, I weighed it more deeper, when you said you would warn me of all evils that you should hear of me; for if your Grace had not a good opinion of me, you would not have offered friendship to me that way, that all men judge the contrary. But what may I more say, than thank God for providing such friends to me; desiring God to enrich me with their long life, and me grace to be in heart no less thankful to receive it than I now am glad in writing to show it; and although I have plenty of matter, here I will stay, for I know you are not quiet to read. From Cheston, this present Saturday. Your Highness' humble daughter,
ELIZABETH.

No comments:

Post a Comment