Friday, December 25, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated September 21, 1836

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Sir George Hayter.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, lithograph by Leopold Georg Friedrich.

The letter:

CLAREMONT, 21st September 1836.
MY MOST DEARLY BELOVED UNCLE, — As I hear that Mamma is going to send a letter to you which will reach you at Dover, and though it is only an hour and a half since we parted, I must write you one line to tell you how very, very sad I am that you have left us, and to repeat, what I think you know pretty well, how much I love you. When I think but two hours ago we were happily together, and that now you are travelling every instant farther and farther away from us, and that I shall with all probability not see you for a year, it makes me cry. Yes, dearest Uncle, it is dreadful in this life, that one is destined, and particularly unhappy me, to be almost always separated from those one loves most dearly. I live, however, in the hopes of your visit next year with dear Aunt, and I cannot say how thankful and happy I am that we have had you here for six short, and to me most bright happy days! I shall look back with the greatest delight on them.

Believe me, always, your ever devoted and most affectionately attached Niece and Child,
VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment