Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Marie Horn's letter to Sophie Amalie Rosenkrantz, dated April 25, 1773 (FICTIONAL)

A letter from my work-in-progress original historical fiction story, Evening Star, written as half-autobiography, half-epistolary novel format from the point of view of Marie Horn.


The letter:

Min kära Sophie,
Jag tackar Eder för brefwet och för Edra gåfwor, de äro wackra. Och ja, jag förlåter Eder; det wore onödigt at säga at I ännu inte känden mig och vice versa.

I wilden weta om mina andra interessen eller mer om de jag redan talat om. Detta är en af dem, til exempel, eftersom I ären så ifwerig. Som jag nämnde är Rosa centifolia min favorit slags Ros; mina andra favorita blommor är Syringa vulgaris (syrén), Dianthus caryophyllus (näjlika) och Pæonia (päon). Jag tror at Frankrike och wårt siècle hafwe producerat några af de besta Philosopherna i werlden, jag finner altid wisdom och sanning i deras ord. Jag tycker också om at måla, men jag föredrar at måla landskap och det finns ju ingen möjelighet at göra det her i Staden.

I flatteren mig med Edra ord, Madame. Jag wet at wi komme at blifwa goda Wänner, och jag hoppas at wi snart ses igjen.

Huru interessant at I nämnen denna smak — min Broder har samma Predilectionen. När wi woro barn lånade han altid mina kläder, och wi continuere detta äfwen nu. Ja wißerligen, Klädningarne paſse honom, och jag kan wäl föreställa mig at Herredrägterne passe Eder också.

Jag måste hålla nu up, Johan har kommit tilbaka med Frukosten. Faren wäl, och jag hoppas at det her brefwet finner Eder wid god helsa. Om I icke hafwen något emot at jag frågar detta, skrifwen Edert swar på Danska.
Marie.
Stockholm den 25. April 1773.

English translation:

My dear Sophie,
I thank you for the letter and for your gifts, they are lovely. And yes, I forgive you; it would be unnecessary to say that you did not know me yet and vice versa.

You wanted to know about my other interests or more about the ones I already talked about. Here is one of them, for example, since you are so eager. As I mentioned, Rosa centifolia is my favourite species of rose; my other favourite flowers are Syringa vulgaris (lilac), Dianthus caryophyllus (carnation), and paeonia (peony). I believe that France and our century have produced some of the best philosophers in the world, I always find wisdom and truth in their words. I also enjoy painting, but I prefer to paint landscapes and there is no opportunity for that here in the city.

You flatter me with your words, Madame. I know that we will become good friends, and I hope that we will see you again soon.

How interesting that you mention this liking — my brother has the same preference. When we were children he was always borrowing my clothes, and we continue this even now. Indeed, the dresses suit him, and I can well imagine that the men's clothes suit you as well.

I must stop now, Johan has come back in with breakfast. Goodbye, and I hope this letter finds you in good health. If you don't mind me asking, please write your reply in Danish.
Marie.
Stockholm, April 25, 1773.

No comments:

Post a Comment