Thursday, December 24, 2020

Jane Skipwith's letter to her cousin Lewes Bagot, dated April 18, year circa 1610

Source:

https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Letterwriting_in_Renaissance_England


The letter:

To my good frend mr
Lewes Bagott giue this

My best beloued cosen I am very glad to here from you, that you ar well, and I would haue you thinke that it tis one of the greates[t] comfordes I haue in this world to here of your well farer; I am very sory to here that your father is still in that humer of offering you more wifes; but as for this; shee hathe a greate porshone; wich I thinke if I hade; hee would not so much missl[i]ke of mee as hee dothe; and besides shee is honorabell wich dothe goe fare with most men nowe dayes; but I protest I writ not this out of any mistrust I haue of your loue; for I haue euer found it more then I haue desserued; yett I know not what shall deserue; and thus with my best wishes; for your good fortune; and happynes in all your bussines I rest euer –
your truly louing
frende while I breath
Jane Skipwith

the xiii of
Aprill

my sisters loue
may not bee for
gotten to you; lett mee here
you as soune as you can

No comments:

Post a Comment