Friday, December 25, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated June 7, 1836

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907


The 300th post on this blog!


Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, lithograph by James Anthony Minasi.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, drawn by Sir George Hayter.


Above: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, lithograph by Royal de Lithographie à Bruxelles.

The letter:

7th June 1836.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — These few lines will be given to you by my dear Uncle Ernest when he sees you.

I must thank you, my beloved Uncle, for the prospect of great happiness you have contributed to give me, in the person of dear Albert. Allow me, then, my dearest Uncle, to tell you how delighted I am with him, and how much I like him in every way. He possesses every quality that could be desired to render me perfectly happy. He is so sensible, so kind, and so good, and so amiable too. He has, besides, the most pleasing and delightful exterior and appearance you can possibly see.

I have only now to beg you, my dearest Uncle, to take care of the health of one, now so dear to me, and to take him under your special protection. I hope and trust that all will go on prosperously and well on this subject of so much importance to me.

Believe me always, my dearest Uncle, your most affectionate, devoted, and grateful Niece,
VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment